My grandparents on my mom's side are German so I grew up on some wonderful traditional food. My grandma is no longer able enough to cook but some of her recipes have been passed down. One of our favorites is called Kraut Bruschke.
It's more commonly called Kraut burgers. A lot of times it's made with ground beef but we prefer bacon.
By the time we arrived at my mom's, she and my dad had already cut up all the bacon and had it cooking.

Then we drained and rinsed the sauerkraut and cooked that a little. Then added pepper to taste.

And added the bacon to it.

We then rolled out bread dough. Both Conner and Brenna helped out.


Then we placed the bacon/sauerkraut in the bread dough and folded it over.

Then we baked them until golden brown.

They take some time to make so we generally do quite a few at once. This time we made 32. And they don't last long.
4 comments:
I remember those, how yummy.
We called those Bierocks!
MMMMMmmmm. I totally craved them when I was pregnant with Beatrix.
Hey -- In Nebraska we call these Runzas! Except we use regular cabbage, not sourkraut
In fact, there is a whole restaurant chain named "Runza" that specializes in these. Here is a website: http://runza.com/
Post a Comment