Everyone always told me our kids' childhood would fly by. I nodded and smiled. Sure, sure. I believe you.
Why didn't I listen?
Especially with my first child, I was always watching to see if he'd reached the next milestone on time as listed in "What to expect the first year." Shouldn't he be crawling already? When was that tooth going to come in? I could not wait for him to be walking, talking, playing at the park. It sounded like so much fun to have him old enough to join sports or take him to the zoo and the Children's Museum.
And those things were a lot of fun. But why didn't I stop and find more enjoyment at each stage instead of continually looking ahead to the next? I would love to go back and cuddle him more, sing more songs, read more books, play more Candyland.
But alas, he's well past all this. He is nearly my height, his voice in deepening into that of a young man and he's more independent every day.
So I am mourning his childhood just a bit. I wasn't ready for it to end.
On the other hand, I rejoice at the young adult he is. I couldn't ask for a more responsible son. After mommy, he is the one Zane turns to for comfort. That's his biggest Bubba and he feels safe and loved with him.
I know I can entrust any of my children to Conner while Scott and I go out for a rare date or a quick run to the store.
I also just really enjoy spending time with him. Such a quick wit! And I love his thoughtfulness. I never have to load or unload the stroller or open a door when he's around. He's always quick to ask if I need help with anything.
So though I miss the child, I will treasure the memories deep in my heart and remember to enjoy each of these new moments. I know they'll pass too quickly also.
I believe it now.
Happy Birthday Son!! We love you and are so proud of who you are!!
7 comments:
Happy Birthday to Conner. He is such a great kid. You've got to be proud!
Happy b-day. And, let me tell you that the next 5 years will fly by at 20x (or more) the speed that the previous 13 years went by! Trust me.... I'm SURE ABOUT THIS ONE!
Happy Birthday, Conner! I remember when he was a tiny baby, dressed in a clown costume for his first Halloween party. So tiny, and it seems like not so long ago. What a wonderful young man, big brother, and son he is. I look forward to hearing about his accomplishments as he rounds the corner into his teenage years, which, you're right, will fly by like the first 13!
Happy Birthday Conner! Robin, enjoy his teen years they go just as fast. It's hard to believe that my oldest will be 20 next summer. Seems just like yesterday we were celebrating his 13th.
Happy Birthday! I love having my teens. They are responsible and able.
my son turns 13 on the 21.I am so sad that my 'baby'is growing up!!
Oh, how funny that our oldest are the same age! Holly turned 13 on 10/4!
Happy Birthday, Scott!
(Why am *I* feeling like I don't have a responsible and able 13yo?)
Post a Comment