
I'm not sure I'll do a "weekly" report but I do want to post regular updates. Trivium Academy has some great graphics and a list of people participating in weekly reports if you want to check them out.
Here we are in about our 5th week of school. I'd love to say we've got around routine down to a science and all runs smoothly every day. But I'd be lying. =) We are moving along well with My Father's World. I've really enjoyed our history readings about Ancient Rome. One of the books we're reading is this one:
I love the way it's written as an ongoing story. Through it, we've come to really know Julius Caesar, Antony, Cleopatra and Octavian. Some of it goes over my younger kids' heads but I'm learning much.
These are a couple books on Rome the kids have liked looking at to get a feel for Roman life:
We've also completed a couple projects. This is a writing tablet made of clay:
These are mosaics, such as Romans decorated their homes with:
We also played a Roman game called Evens and Odds. This week, we are supposed to make a pig. Hmmm....I'll post the results.
We're also moving right along with Math-U-See, God and the History of Art, handwriting and language arts. I'm still struggling to fit in Latin and music. But I'm happy to say we've gotten a pretty good routine for the baby. He is generally up during the first part of our studies, then takes a nap between break time and lunch so we can read and do history together.
I am using My Father's World Kindergarten for my 4yr old. We're taking it slow and only doing as much as he wants to. He has really enjoyed working on creation. He colored, cut out, and pasted the 7 days which we displayed on the wall:
Today, he finished a creation book he'd been working on. He loves to do school and I hope that never changes.
So overall, it's been good. Not perfect by any means, but good. I think we're all a bit smarter since September 4th. I know I am.
5 comments:
Fun projects and great books! We'll be doing the ancients next year.
What a fun study and the projects you found for them to do were great!
Great job, Robin! Looks like you've all been hard at work.
Hi Robin -
I really appreciate your posting about RTR. We are thinking about going to that. We did ECC, but went to other things for the CTG year..... but I have always looked at the RTR year and thought "that looks like so much fun!". Thanks for your updates. :)
Laura in MO
(from SHS)
Making a pig WHAT? Please don't tell me you are supposed to roast a pig or something!
We'll be reading Foster's book about Columbus later this year. We've never used her books before, and I'm looking forward to it.
Post a Comment