Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Last week

My parents run a motel in Walden, in the mountains of northern Colorado. It's a lot of work and they don't get away from it very often. So they asked if I'd come up and run it for a few days after Christmas while they took a little vacation. So this is what me and the kids (and Scott who came up over the weekend) did last week:




Washed laundry...







folded laundry...



made beds



and cleaned bathrooms.




End result --




nice and clean.




I also answered phones, rented rooms and took reservations. It had been a slow month up there and my mom figured I'd have it easy. Ummm...NOT. We got busy the day they left and it stayed that way. LOL

In fact, on Sunday we were hit by a snowstorm and all the surrounding roads were closed. So people passing through on their way to the ski resorts were stranded. We ended up having every room rented, with people continuing to call and stop by trying to find a place to stay.

That was the day my parents were planning to return, but they were stuck a few hours away due to the closed roads. And Scott had gone home that morning, making his way over a very treacherous pass. It hadn't yet closed but he said it was almost a total whiteout. Needless to say, I was a nervous wreck until he called to say he made it home safely.


These were taken in Walden:




These were taken out Scott's window on his way home:


My older two boys were so great and took care of Zane for me while I was slammed renting rooms and answering the phone.

It was a hectic week but overall it went well. And my parents were able to get away and hopefully be refreshed. I'll write about their trip in another post.



4 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow that is a lot of work, I am sure your parents were happy for the break. I know how scared you were for Scott driving home. Steve has to go to Michigan tomorrow and I am so worried about the weather.

Lisa in Jax said...

Whew! That's not a job, that's a lifestyle! Amazingly good job! I know I wouldn't have been able to keep up with everything.

stacey said...

I love that you took all those pics -- now I'll be able to picture you up in Walden so much better!

Cynthia said...

How nice that you were able to go cover for your parents.