Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Getting Out There...

Day #3 of Randi's Back to Homeschool Week: Getting out there...Extra-curricular activities, community involvement, volunteering, sports teams, music lessons, making sure your kids have opportunities to be social, co-ops, etc., etc., etc...

This is a timely topic as I just spent time today registering the kids for fall classes at our Rec. Center and set up a field trip for our co-op.

The first couple years we homeschooled, we didn't get out much. The kids were 7, 5 and 3. I tried one homeschool group but it was pretty far to drive and we didn't go often enough to make meaningful friendships.

But in the last few years, I've been amazed to discover just how much there is to do out there for homeschoolers. This last year, we really ended up too busy out of the house. We were in a co-op, a homeschool bowling league, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts and a gym class. All these were during the day which made scheduling actual school interesting.

This year, I'm not repeating that. We will still be involved in plenty of activities. But I've set guidelines. Our activities will be in the afternoon, when school and chores are done, or on our day off. I'm not sure if this will be on Friday like in previous years, or if we'll try something different. The kids may be taking classes at the Homeschool Hangout on Tuesdays, so that may be a better off day. We'll see.

I've learned it's important to be well-balanced. We've tipped one way and then the other, maybe this year we'll find the right mix.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Good for you for setting limits. I really don't think our kids need to be involved in EVERYTHING. It makes life crazy. I think that is a wise decision.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find the balance isn't it! That's why I can't decide on a Co-op or not this year. We always wind up too busy for our own good.

Anonymous said...

Finding the balance each school year is so important. If I have too many "good" activities outside of the house, the homeschooling gets behind. Not good!

I live in Colorado also--Canon City

Tricia said...

Yes balance is the key.

We are a homeschool family with a socialization problem...TOO MUCH OF IT!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Balance is everything! Great post!

Amelia Antwiler said...

Finding the right activities that can be a blessing for the family instead of a drudge is a must!

Balance is key.

Bleach free blessings!

Cynthia said...

Each year will look a little different than the last. Some years we are busier than others.