We ended up in Central City. I used to spend a lot of Sundays in that area with my parents. My dad loved to go 4-wheeling. We had a series of trucks and jeeps that we'd take. We'd usually meet up with other people and make a day of it. It was a ton of fun, even when we got stuck.
Central City and Blackhawk are completely changed now, with the introduction of gambling. The charm of the old town is obscured by the glitzy hotels and casinos. It's really a shame.
But one of my favorite spots is still there. Just outside of town is a very old cemetery. It's lovely, climbing along the hill, with wildflowers and Aspen trees scattered throughout. I used to love wandering through, looking at the dates on the headstones and imagining the people and what their lives were like.
Some of the headstones are quite elaborate. The saddest to me are the ones that indicate several children from one family.
I'm glad I got to share this with my children. Brenna especially seemed to feel what I did there.
Then we moved on about 6 miles out of town to the Gilpin County Fair. It was a nice, small fair and the air was much cooler than in Denver. The kids got to try out a mechanical bull and the bungee trampoline and it was all free. Then we shared some fair food and headed out just as a thunderstorm hit.
A very nice day, indeed.
5 comments:
Sounds like a LOVELY day. Awhile ago I posted some pictures of an old cemetery we visited while geocaching.. had to look for specific dates to find the next coordinates we needed. It was really neat to see all of the various homemade headstones.
Oh.. and I LOVE the welcome sign at the top of your blog.
Oh, what a fun day! I loved escaping to the mountains on a hot Denver day!!!
Thanks, Cynthia.
Geocaching sounds so fun. And in a cemetery,no less! I'm trying to convince my husband of the need for a GPS. LOL
Stacey,
You're not kidding about the heat! It's been icky down in the city.
How much fun! I used to go 4-wheeling quite a bit up there, more often around Breckenridge, Georgetown, Como/Jefferson areas.
I love to explore old cemeteries and am looking forward to finding some here. There are also many private cemeteries that are on people's land. Very interesting . . .
Post a Comment