Sunday, September 23, 2007

First day of fall

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. ~Stanley Horowitz


It's now officially my favorite time of the year! I love fall. Here in Colorado, it can bring any weather you can imagine. I always have to have two wardrobes in the kids' drawers. We may wake up one day to hot, summery weather made for shorts and swimming. The next day we may need to don our long pants and a cozy sweater as the skies are gray and angry-looking. We've had snow as early as the first week in September, although that's rare.


Fall to me is milder weather, beginning a new homeschool year, the calendar filling up more and more and more. It's going through each child's clothing, determining what to pass on, what to give away, how much to buy. It's digging out coats, boots, hats, gloves. Putting away bathing suits swim shoes and sandals.


It's also snuggling with my toddler on the couch on a gray, cool morning. Visiting a corn maze or pumpkin patch. Making hot cocoa after the kids have gone out into the first snowfall of the year. Checking out this year's sweaters in stores. Looking ahead to the joyous Christmas season.


We also try to take at least one mountain drive this time of year to see the colorful show the aspens put on. We hope to do that next weekend. In the meantime, I'll post some pictures from past autumns.






And my favorite:

6 comments:

Teresa said...

I love fall too. The colors are the best this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! It is so gorgeous, isn't it?

Cynthia said...

I also LOVE fall for all of the same reasons you mentioned. It's definitely fall here!

Kristine said...

Oh, Robin, you know I'm enjoying these photos! Can't wait to see what you see this weekend!

stacey said...

Great post, great pics, great memories of a great time of year. Enjoy!!

Emily said...

Oh Robin, I love fall too! I just have to imagine it most of the time because it's still 90 degrees here in Florida. I really miss Indiana autumns.