Okay...this year's curriculum ordered and received -- CHECK. Pencils sharpened, markers and erasers and scissors and glue all corralled into one central location (destined to be scattered throughout the house within a week) -- CHECK. A positive attitude on mommy's part, and prayers said for God's wisdom in training His precious children -- CHECK.
I think I'm ready to start school tomorrow. This year we have an 8th grader, a 5th grader, and a 3rd grader. Aiden is 4 so technically preschool, but I bought a Kindergarten curriculum to work with him on over the next 2 years.
We are using My Father's World curriculum for Bible and History. I checked it out at the homeschool convention and was impressed with how easy it seems to implement for different age groups. I'll let ya know in a few weeks it I find that to be true or not. ;)
This is the rest of what we're using:
Science is Apologia. For language arts, we're using Primary Language Lessons , Intermediate Language Lessons and Writing Strands. For handwriting, we use A Reason for Handwriting, and spelling is Spelling Power.
Math is Math-U-See. Art is God and the History of Art, music is Classical Music for Children for Aiden, and Introduction to Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven for the older kids. We are doing Latin for foreign language (wish me luck!).
We joined a co-op so the kids will be taking classes on Friday. So far, Chase is taking chess and a fitness class, Brenna is taking sewing and watercolor and Aiden is taking a preschool class. This is our first time in this kind of group so we'll see how it goes.
Extra-curricular activities include:
Conner -- baseball and swim lessons
Chase -- Cub Scouts and swim lessons
Brenna -- Brownies, swim lessons, dance and His Kids(choir at church)
Aiden -- swim lessons and Cherub Choir (church)
They are all also in AWANA. So it's shaping up to be a busy year!
I'll try to post after our first day and periodically throughout the year.
6 comments:
Hi -
I am on SHS with you. We have used MFW in the past and truly loved it! Our favorite year of all was ECC (Exploring Countries and Cultures) but we enjoyed all the years that we did. It is so easy to teach and the kids learn a lot. Good luck on a great school year!
Laura in MO
Ah, a bit of this and a bit of that. What better curriculum can there be?
Looks like a GREAT lineup!
Looks like a GREAT lineup!
I wish you well as you prepare and begin your school year! Happy back-to-school!! I hope you'll post something in Latin, hehe.
I appreciate your post. Usually we talk about curriculum a LOT this time of year on SHS--but maybe I was no mail at the time? Anyway, I definitely need to post my plan--now that I have one, lol.
It does look like a great year, Robin, and I'm looking forward to your updates.
Post a Comment