Wednesday, September 12, 2007

river ecosystems

We attended a great homeschool field trip today at the Carson Nature Center in Littleton.




They separated us into groups, with the older kids going on a 1.5 mile hike with a guide. Conner and Chase did that hike while I stayed with the younger group.

The nature center is along the South Platte River so the class was geared toward learning about the river and what lives in and around it. Our guide, Danell, had the kids act out various animals. This is Aiden slithering like a snake:



This water table is the neatest thing. It's filled with the sand that is in the river, and has water running through it.




The guide carved out a mini-river to let the kids observe erosion.







Then they each got a miniature house to place along the river, wherever they thought it might be safest. Then they were given rocks and trees to try to protect their house.



<




The guide then "flooded" the river. Most the houses and trees were washed away or flipped over. A few on the highest ground survived.





The kids just loved playing on this table. I need one at home! =)

Then we went on a small hike down to the river. The kids used nets to scoop up whatever they could find. They found a small toad, a dead crayfish and many smaller bugs and worms.

<







This was the best kind of field trip -- the kids learned something, but also got to be hands-on. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get pictures of the older kids on their hike, but we do plan to go back. This was just one of several different classes they offer.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Oh, WOW, this is practically my old backyard! I know exactly where this is! We lived at Broadway & Caley for 10 years . . . And I lived at the opposite intersection of Carson for a few years too. I remember before Mineral was built to go across the river . . .

What a fun field trip and looks like great weather too!

Cynthia said...

What an AWESOME field trip! Our co-op is going on a nature hike Monday! We can hardly wait.