This time we visited The Wildlife Sanctuary. I've lived in Colorado all of my life and had never heard of this place. I read about it in a kids magazine. They rescue large exotic animals from bad situations. Oftentimes, they end up with large cats that people had as pets when they were young and then obviously couldn't take care of as they grew. They had a booklet of information about each of the animals. Some of the stories could break your heart. Two tigers that had been kept as pets lived in a car with the owner. One of the grizzly bears was rescued from a Russian circus, where he had been addicted to nicotine. That was how his owner got him to do tricks. Another bear came from such a bad situation that she used to bang her head against the bars until she bled.
This sanctuary takes these animals in and nurses them back to health. They have 75 tigers, 30 bears, 10 wolves, a few lions and servals. They have an observation walkway above the animals, so you can walk along and see them without disturbing their habitat.
These are looking down on the roundhouse, where the tigers live.
They have a pool area where the tigers can play with other tigers.
These two acted just like my cats who are brothers. Only with much larger teeth.
They are such magnificent animals. God is so amazing, isn't he?
These are a couple of the wolves:
One of the grizzlies:
I guess this place has been featured on Animal Planet, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. We all learned a lot here.
4 comments:
Wow, Robin. I had no idea it existed, either. Your blog is a wealth of information!
Robin, I'd never heard of this place either! Great photos, I enjoyed seeing and reading of your trip!
Wow. That's great. Thanks for sharing. If we ever get back your direction we'll have to look into a field trip there.
Great photo's and I use to say the samething. Sometimes it didn't feel like we were "home" schooling because we were out doing field trips so much!
Post a Comment